Thursday, June 26, 2008

Got my finger on the pulse

That's right. People just know that when you need to find out what the likes, dislikes, wants, and needs of our culture are - you come to me. That's why I was invited to take part in a focus group for Fazoli's to evaluate some possible new menu items. Not really. I just happened to be in a Fazoli's and filled out a survey. But either way, I got paid to eat some food and tell them what I thought about it. Not a bad gig.

So at the test kitchen, I heard one of the employees (a 'food engineer') talking to another person about his background. Seems that he started as a pharmacy major and then made the apparently easy transition to food science. This was because, as he explained, the fields are very similar.

Now I'm not completely naive. I know that we eat a ton of stuff that is mass produced and is full of who knows what kind of chemicals, preservatives, etc. We are talking about manufacturing here, not home-cooking. But hearing the ex-pharmacy student turned food engineer talk for some reason really made that sink in for a moment. Of course, I completely forgot all about that as soon as the food started showing up. I mean, I did have a job to do after all.

(By the way, if you need paid evaluations of any of the following:
new golf courses
all-inclusive vacation resorts
Oreos

... then I'm your man!)

-Jeff

No comments: