Sunday, February 3, 2008

How Great

Interesting worship services this morning. Before the second service as we were walking to the stage, one of the band members learned that his brother had been killed last night. I'm not sure how I would react to news like that, but I'm guessing I wouldn't have done what he did - he played on anyway.

The last song of the service today was "How Great is our God," and as we were finishing up our pastor (who knew about the situation) came up and asked that we sing it again - with some perspective. He expained what had happened and stressed that God really is great - regardless of our circumstances. It's easy to worship when things are great, but things won't always be that way. Even when things seem bleak, don't make sense, and life just hurts - God is still the same as he always was, just like in the good times. Life, however, will continue to cycle between the good times and bad, at least until he comes again to make things right.

Our family has had times like that, and I'm sure I'll write about those at some point. For now, I'm thankful that God is truly great - and in control - regardless of what circumstances we find ourselves in.

-Jeff

No comments: